Mortgage Loan Originators
- 11/30/12 - The California Corporations Commissioner has issued Release 64-FS to provide information to mortgage loan originators (MLOs) who are employed by bona fide nonprofit organizations, and who may be exempt from licensure requirements under Financial Code Section 22013(b) of the California Finance Lenders Law and Financial Code Section 50003.5(b) of the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act, as amended by AB 2666 (Chap. 264, Stats. 2012), effective January 1, 2013. For an MLO to qualify for the exemption, the bona fide nonprofit organization employer must register with the Department. The California Corporations Commissioner has posted the form and instructions for filing.
- 10/12/12 - MLO LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS: The annual renewal period for mortgage loan originator license will be from November 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012. MLO must renew their license during this period in order to ensure they are authorized to continue originating loans during the 2013 calendar year. Please note that all licensed mortgage loan originators must complete 8 hours of continuing education prior to submitting a request to renew their licenses for 2013. IF YOU COMPLETED PRE-LICENSURE EDUCATION DURING 2012, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE 8 HOURS OF CONTINUING EDUCATION IN ORDER TO RENEW FOR 2013. See 09/19/12 letter to All Licensed Mortgage Loan Originators.
- 10/12/12 - COMPANY AND BRANCH LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS FOR 2012:
All licensees holding a California Residential Mortgage Lending Act license and licensees under the California Finance Lenders Law who make, broker or service residential mortgage loans must submit a renewal request through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) between November 1st and December 31, 2012. All licensed mortgage loan originators employed by your company must also renew their licenses during this renewal period in order to continue originating loans during 2013See 09/19/12 letter to All Companies and Branches.
- About Mortgage Loan Originators
- Who is Required to Obtain a Mortgage Loan Originator License
- What are the Pre-requisites for Mortgage Loan Originator License Applications
- How Do I Apply for a Mortgage Loan Originator License
- How Do I Amend a Mortgage Loan Originator License
- How Do I Renew my Mortgage Loan Originator License
- How Do I Surrender a Mortgage Loan Originator License
- Licensing Status
- Fee Schedule
- Information for CFLL and CRMLA Licensed Companies
- Frequently Asked Questions
Information on MLO licensing requirements is also available in NMLS.
NMLS, developed through the Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) and the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators (AARMR), will allow companies to conveniently manage their mortgage license(s) in an electronic format through a secure website.
Please visit NMLS for additional information and licensing requirements specific to the California Department of Corporations.
- Bona Fide Nonprofit Affordable Housing Organizations
- Verify an MLO license through NMLS Consumer Access
NMLS Consumer Access is a fully searchable website that allows the public to view information concerning state-licensed mortgage companies, branches and individuals currently licensed through NMLS.