Education & Outreach Resources
- Education & Outreach Consumer Resource Guide
Find phone numbers, web site links, and other information for Federal, State, County, and private consumer groups and agencies.
There are other state, local, and federal agencies as well as non-profit organizations that offer an array of consumer services. For further information or assistance call the Department of Corporations toll-free at 1-866-ASKCORP (1-866-275-2677).
- California Area Agencies on Aging provides information about senior programs and services along with details about rebates for energy costs, home maintenance, health costs, and taxes.
- California Commission on Aging serves as the principal advocate in the state on behalf of older individuals, advising the Governor, Legislature and Executive branch departments on senior issues.
- California Department of Financial Institutions oversees the secure operation of California's state-chartered financial institutions, including banks and credit unions.
- California Department of Insurance ensures that consumers are protected; that the insurance marketplace is fostered to be vibrant and stable; that the regulatory process is maintained as open and equitable; and that the law is enforced fairly and impartially.
- California Department of Real Estate licenses & regulates real estate brokers and salespeople along with mortgage lender and mortgage broker activities.
- Commodity Future Trading Commission - Consumer Alerts mission is to protect market users and the public from fraud, manipulation, abusive practices and systemic risk related to derivatives that are subject to the Commodity Exchange Act.
- California Board of Accountancy licenses & regulates certified public accountants and public accountants as well as accounting firms.
- Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) licenses and regulates various professions including doctors, dentists, contractors, funeral and cemetery providers, auto repair technicians and repair shops, and cosmetologists. DCA also maintains a large library of consumer protection publications and materials on its website that is an excellent resource for consumers.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau mission is to make markets for consumer financial products and services work for Americans—whether they are applying for a mortgage, choosing among credit cards, or using any number of other consumer financial products.
- Contractors State License Board protects consumers by licensing and regulating California's construction industry.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation: Fraud Target Senior Citizens aims to defend and uphold our nation’s economy, physical and electronic infrastructure, and democracy. Because seniors are targets for financial fraud and scams, the FBI offers fraud prevention information specifically for seniors.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) deals with issues that touch the economic life of every American. It is the only federal agency with both consumer protection and competition jurisdiction in broad sectors of the economy. The FTC provides consumer protection for loans, credit cards, identity theft, telemarketing, funerals, and cemeteries.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority - Regulation (FINRA) is the largest independent regulator for all securities firms doing business in the United States. FINRA licenses & regulates individuals and companies conducting various securities activities, establishes rules, and conducts audits. Its chief role is to protect investors by maintaining the fairness of the U.S. capital markets.
- Department Of Corporations (DOC) licenses and regulates a variety of businesses that affect the everyday financial lives of Californians and represents a significant part of the State's economy, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers and financial planners, and certain fiduciaries and lenders. The DOC also regulates the offer and sales of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities.
- Los Angeles Public Library Provides abundance of information and services. They offer financial literacy information on their website entitled The Language of Money.
- NMLS Consumer Access is a fully searchable website that allows the public to view information concerning state-licensed mortgage companies, branches and individuals currently Licensed through NMLS.